[ale] OT - SED drive compatibility

Adrya Stembridge adrya.stembridge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 12:08:27 EDT 2014

I'm learning that I may have some software-based encryption options with
LUKS and dm-crypt.   The machine I'm working on now will be replaced in 3
years, so I just need something to get by on till then.   It's primarily
used for a web application and database, and has fewer than 50 users.
There are a lot of writes happening, but no encoding - just text/html and
PDF creation.

Is using software encryption a bad idea for a server?   Would that provide
better performance than going from 15000 to 7200 rpm SAS drive?