[ale] Fedora install?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 06:20:26 EDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 05:31 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 05:15 PM, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>>
>> Given what I have read here on Ale and elsewhere, I am extremely
>> hesitant to tackle the FC18 install routine.
>>
>> Should I install the Centos 6.3 and configure it as a desktop?
>>

> You could, if you like torture.  :-)  Though seriously, it would work.
> It just wouldn't be full of up-to-date software.

I use a CentOS 6 desktop. Yeah, it is sort of painful. Unlike (my
perception of) Mike, however, I'm not really a developer yet so my tools
are pretty basic. Effectively I "live" in my "work" environment.

The issues are not that bad, Firefox and Thunderbird work. Google has
dropped Chrome support so no updates there. I use vim and terminal
windows a lot, gnucash, XChat, Dropbox. There are IUS community packages
for a lot of newer PHP and python versions. It also encourages me to
remember my roots and be willing to look at alternative actions.

If you want to work *with* Linux, use *buntu. If you want to work *on*
Linux, use CentOS.

Leam

--
http://31challenge.net