[ale] Fedora install?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Oct 23 17:31:08 EDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 05:15 PM, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> Given what I have read here on Ale and elsewhere, I am extremely
> hesitant to tackle the FC18 install routine.
>
> Should I install the Centos 6.3 and configure it as a desktop?

You could, if you like torture.  :-)  Though seriously, it would work.
It just wouldn't be full of up-to-date software.

> Or should I install FC 17 and try to upgrade via the web-based
> installer? That question also asks if the newer web-based install
> routine can deal with a Raid-1. I don't know one way or the other.
>
> Or should I now skip to FC 19, which seems to have a more useable
> install routine?
>
> Or should I wait until FC 20 is stable and try that?
>
> Or give up on Red Hat altogether and install a 64 bit version of Mint,
> which I also have available?

For non-standard (e.g., RAID or very complex LVM setups) I usually
install the system one way, and then modify it post-installation. It
just works out better than trying to trust that the programmers got
everything right.

At least, for OS installers in general.

It seems to hold true with the RH family, though, too.

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843