[ale] asp user learning php?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Mar 8 17:00:46 EST 2013

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at water.com>
>wrote:
>
>>  What really gets me is that the ALE list will go on for days on end
>> about ham radio, tax regulations or how to make apple pie but give
>little
>> or no help on actual technology questions related to Linux.****
>>

>I don't find the apple pie thread in the archives. bummer. I like apple
>pie.
>
>Yeah. Ale can be a bit like "social networking for people who don't use
>facebook". Oftentimes, a non-answer to a technical question is exactly
>what
>it looks like - no one has an answer. I quit asking technical questions
>on
>ale years ago after I figured out I was asking stuff that no one new
>about.
>I tend to work off in the weeds so that was to be expected.
>--
>--
>James P. Kinney III
>*
>*Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
>gain
>at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
>tail.
>It won't fatten the dog.
>- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>*
>http://electjimkinney.org
>http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
>*

Hi all,

Warning, my reply is not about php or asp, but neither are the two above.  What's Facebook?  This and a couple of other forums are my social network.  I don't have time for any other.

If I think I can add anything useful to a topic, I try to add it.  I may not always succeed, but a number of people have thanked me for what I've posted on occasion.  If I have a geeky question, I ask it.  While I don't always get an answer that helps, I have gotten many and have learned quite a bit.  I always appreciate people who try to answer.

Regarding Google.  There are two reasons having someone else Google something for you can be advantageous versus doing it yourself (or in addition to that).

First is knowing how to Google.  (TOTALLY making up the following.):

Anyone can type chevrolet classic roadster transmission engine problems into Google.

A search such as this will probably yield many false results.  The following might be better.

chevrolet "classic roadster" ((transmission OR engine) AND (problems OR failures OR issues))

Many people don't even know you can do this on Google.  So, there's just Googling, and then there is Googling effectively.

Then, there is knowing what to Google for.  Again, making this up, if I post a question about a chevrolet classic roadster jerking and stumbling when going from 4th to 5th gear, someone out there might know that if you throw "warped pressure plate" into the Google query, it will give the exact results I need.

So, in some cases, if someone else knows how to Google effectively and what to Google effectively better than the person asking a question, it is possible that the someone else would find far more useful results by Googling far more quickly than the person asking the question.

I've found the group to be sometimes (even usually) useful relating to my technical Linux questions.  My questions may be more simplistic than most.  Sometimes, I think each person's experience is so unique, it's hard for others to answer.

Sincerely,

Ron