[ale] Linux in 1 GB RAM

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 07:45:44 EDT 2013

Yesterday I found what causes this slowdown in Linux distros I have
tried before. In general is a very slow access to hard drive which
come  factory with the system. SATA 250 GB Western Digital some model.
I hooked an old spare 13 GB IDE drive that I have for emergency cases
and installation went fast and Linux worked as it should. Now I have
to figure what is wrong:

1. Linux drivers for that particular chipset? The mainboard is build
around ATI chipset.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00783614#N88

2. Bad SATA controller.
3. Bad hard drive.