[ale] Linux in 1 GB RAM

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Jun 27 07:56:52 EDT 2013

I've had terrible install times with Ubuntu if the machine was network
connected, but not on the internet.  Seems the installer assumes
NETWORK=INTERNET.  Over 2 hrs as every network request had to time out before
the process continued.

Unplugged the ethernet and installed ... 10 minutes.

I've run LXDE-Ubuntu (Lubuntu) on a P4 with 512MB of RAM. Worked better than
WinXP by far. It screams on a 1G box.

For anyone migrating family from WinXP ... I think Lubuntu is easier than going
to Win7.  The interfaces are more alike.