[ale] OT Just bought my 1st & 2nd "lighting-class" LED bulbs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 24 12:32:40 EDT 2013

"Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> writes:

> Now that you mention it, it's been several years since I ran the
> pricing, so my number may be off.  You have to account for all the
> "balance of system" stuff.  Grid tie inverters and net metering
> weren't as readily available, so my original estimate probably
> included a 3 day battery bank, which would be BIG.  The number I
> posted in this message was more of a rule of thumb number than a
> precise estimate.  But, I distinctly remember that the rule of thumb
> used to be $ 10 / watt all said and done.

Yeah, that number is way off, by a factor of 2-3!  It's really more like
$3-5/W nowadays...  And that's *BEFORE* any federal or state subsidies.
I've priced out a 7.2kW array with micro-inverters at around $25k.
Alas, my limiting issue is viable roof real estate.

You really should recheck your numbers.  Solar has come down in price
SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 2-3 years!

-derek