[ale] retroactive VM images?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Thu Jul 11 14:30:34 EDT 2013

Take a look at VMware Converter.  It's free, and the images should work in
something like VirtualBox.  It will make an image of the whole machine, and
you don't need to reinstall using an ISO.

You may run into issues with licensing, depending on the type of XP you
have.  If it's OEM, then you're not even allowed to virtualize on the same
hardware (must be on the exact hardware it was purchased with), and the
activation will probably kick in when it notices all the hardware is
different.

If you need to reinstall and you have a proper license, there is nothing
wrong with downloading an ISO image from somewhere (just make sure it's
clean).

❧ Brian Mathis