[ale] retroactive VM images?

Justin W Elam justin.w.elam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 14:40:47 EDT 2013

I was able to get a vanilla xp sp1 image to work in virtualbox for a
specific application.

To image a current machine state, Google "converting physical machine to
virtual" using the free VMware tool to create the VMDK, then import into
the free Virtualbox or use your favorite manager xen/qemu/VMware/virtualPC
To manage the images. Then you can play your favorite application in its
appropriate is and have instant snapshots if you hose the image.

Or the horrors of reinstalling Windows plus all of your applications one
weekend twice a year.

As it doesn't work on Windows7, 8. It also doesn't run well in Wine
.
It is a mission critical legacy application.  Management wanted the latest
and greatest.

So I had to run them parallel for three months until FY end.

It took a week to get the legacy data loaded into the new version

But now it seems to work well.
And I can finally get rid of a physical XP box.

Your mileage may vary.
Watch out for whammies.

Justin.

--