No subject

Tue Nov 13 08:16:38 EST 2012

Geoffrey Myers
See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo

------=_Part_6384_1010306441.1374530460599

div style=3D'font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; colo=
r: #000000'>I won't say which to use because my C threading experience is a=
 couple of decades old or more. I will add some comments, though.<br><br>I =
second Ed Cashin's comments on functional languages and techniques, especia=
lly if the threads are all working on a single problem. It's less of an iss=
ue if you're application is such that each thread can work mostly independe=
ntly, but the more the threads are working on a common problem, the bigger =
iv>The standard Java libraries have grown over the years with many tools to=
 make things easier and safer (e.g. <a href=3D"http://docs.oracle.com/javas=
e/tutorial/essential/concurrency/forkjoin.html">Fork/Join framework</a> add=
ed in JDK 7). Despite the nay-sayers, Java can be very fast. The new Java J=
DK 8 Project Lambda introduces functional techniques across the Java API, l=
argely to make multi-threading easier and safer. This will be a paradigm sh=
ift for a lot of Java programmers, though, unless they happen to be separat=
ely familiar with the functional style. I'm not sure what your project time=
line is, but a "feature complete" JDK8 release is out now, with a final RC =
"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-=
decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><b>=