[ale] Can't find LVM volumes on USB drive

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:43:28 EST 2012

You can't mount an PV directly (sde3)

run lvscan and look for the names to use from /dev/mapper :

[root at scotty bin]# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_scotty/lv_swap' [9.77 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_scotty/LogVol01' [104.78 GiB] inherit
[root at scotty bin]# ls /dev/mapper/
control  vg_scotty-LogVol01  vg_scotty-lv_swap

You now mount /dev/mapper/vg_scotty-LogVol01 (in my case - user your own
name!)

[root at scotty bin]# mount
/dev/mapper/vg_scotty-LogVol01 on / type ext4 (rw)

And, yes, scotty is named from Star Trek's Scotty (first system I set up in
engineering so, um, yeah.).

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>
wrote:
> I had a disk starting to develop problems according to SMART. Excessive
bad
> sectors so I replaced it.  To make a long story short, I trashed a
partition
> on the new disk accidently so I plugged the old one into a USB/HD jig to
try
> to get some data from it.  fdisk -l /dev/sde shows:
>
> /dev/sde1               1        6079    48829536   83  Linux
> /dev/sde2            6080       18238    97667167+  83  Linux
> /dev/sde3           18239       60801   341887297+  8e  Linux LVM
>
> If I attempt to mount /dev/sde3 it complains about
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> vgscan doesn't find anything on that drive.  It does find a volume group
on
> /dev/sda however.
>
> I tried an fsck /dev/sde3 and got bunches of errors that looked bad.  I
> answered no to fixing them.  I'm not surprised at this since I'm sure this
> device had an lvm volume on it at one time.
>

> Is there any way to recover this?  Every time I set a system up with LVM I
> run into these kinds of problems.  You'd think I'd learn eventually.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://electjimkinney.org
http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/