[ale] IPv6 trouble w/ CM10

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Nov 14 17:11:27 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 11:00 -0600, Michael Trausch wrote:
> I realize that this is a CyanogenMod/Android issue, but am hoping that
> someone is able to point me in the right direction to solve it.

> I am running CM10 on the SGS3, which is not only IPv6 capable on the cell
> network, but has the long-lived support for the wifi adapter too. However,
> native Android applications do not seem to be able to use it.

> Example: ConnectBot won't connect to my desktop, aloe.trausch.us, but if I
> use ConnectBot to pull up a local terminal, I can use ssh from the command
> line to get to it.

> I have failed to find the cause of this problem. Has anyone run into it and
> possibly, perchance, a solution to it?

More than likely, it's an application specific problem.  Sounds to me
highly likely that ConnectBot is only doing a DNS query for IPv4 A
records and not doing a query for IPv6 AAAA (QuadA) records.  Normally,
if you use the gethostbyname function it should return an array of
records of both types as determined by the resolver.  The fact that ssh
is working is indicative that the resolver itself is working.  That
alone narrows it down to the particular app.  As an experiment, you
could try entering in the IPv6 host address of your machine,
2001:470:1f11:3f:d63d:7eff:fe2d:2512, and see if ConnectBot will connect
to the address without doing a DNS lookup.  If that fails, ConnectBot is
simply not IPv6 capable and was not coded with the proper AF (Address
Family) agnostic function calls.  If it works (which I suspect it will
not) then they merely used the wrong host lookup functions.

Regards,
Mike