[ale] Fwd: Jim - cannot post this message to ALE, please post for me

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon May 7 10:20:03 EDT 2012

Yes it happens.  Unfortunately the US Government refuses to give statistics on how often it happens.

There was a well publicized case a year or so ago where they made someone turn on his computer to "prove it worked" then found out he had an encrypted area on it.   The court later in a total BS ruling said he MUST provide his password for the encrypted area because the fact he turned it on for them showed he was "willing" to let them access it.   Of course they ignore the fact that many people have said their laptops have been confiscated coming through the borders with no seeming rhyme or reason.   Imagine how quickly they would confiscate if you refused to turn it on in the first place.  It was the article I read about this that indicated this has been happening quite a bit.

It's been a while since I flew but every time I ever did they made me turn on the computer to verify it was actually a computer.  Given the above case I don't know that I'd be so ready to do so now.