[ale] ot - FM transmitter makes good GPS jammer

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue May 1 10:45:36 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 00:20 -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> I have one of those cheap fm transmitters that broadcasts audio from a
> portable device to the car stereo.  It works great to send sound from my
> tablet to the car.  However, it also jams the tablet's GPS system.  When
> I plug in the transmitter, the number of satellites the tablet has a fix
> on goes from 6 or more to 1 or zero immediately.  The GPS fails to
> work.  If I unplug the fm transmitter, the GPS works again.  Anyone ever
> seen that happen?

No and I have run that combination with an FM transmitter plugged into
my EVO Android playing from Pandora while using Google Maps or GPS
Status and I've also got my TomTom in the car running quite happily as
well.

Those frequencies are divergent enough that either you have a horribly
bad transmitter that's splattering all over hell's have acre or that
tablet has crap for a GPS receiver.