[ale] [OT] Home PBX?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 31 14:14:06 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 02:06 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> im Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> writes:
>
>> > Newer, cleaner and easier to understand is FreeSwitch.  I tossed
>> > Asterisk a while back.  Support is good.  There is an active IRC channel
>> > where a number of the developers hang out.  Also a very busy mailing list.
> My main issue with FreeSwitch is the lack of a Fedora/CentOS RPM in EPEL
> or rpmfusion.  Asterisk, however, is simple to install (albeit more
> complicated to configure).
>
> I've been a happy Asterisk user since 1.2 (or possibly even 1.0), and
> have been using it for ~5-7 years, possibly longer.
>
> I don't use it as a PBX per se, I use it as a concentrator for multiple
> incoming telephone trunks.

The biggest difference between the two systems is the intention.

FreeSwitch is literally just a phone switch.  It can be made into a PBX
pretty easy, but it doesn't have to be a PBX.  You can use it for
private call routing and switching all by itself.

I used Asterisk for a long time in my experimental VoIP setup.  I
switched to FreeSWITCH quite some time back, because it was easier to
configure and maintain for me.  I've been using it ever since.

For deployment in a business scenario, I'd probably use either/or
depending on the requirements for the system.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”