[ale] [OT] Home PBX?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 31 14:06:18 EDT 2012

Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> writes:

> Newer, cleaner and easier to understand is FreeSwitch.  I tossed
> Asterisk a while back.  Support is good.  There is an active IRC channel
> where a number of the developers hang out.  Also a very busy mailing list.

My main issue with FreeSwitch is the lack of a Fedora/CentOS RPM in EPEL
or rpmfusion.  Asterisk, however, is simple to install (albeit more
complicated to configure).

I've been a happy Asterisk user since 1.2 (or possibly even 1.0), and
have been using it for ~5-7 years, possibly longer.

I don't use it as a PBX per se, I use it as a concentrator for multiple
incoming telephone trunks.

-derek