[ale] [OT] Home PBX?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Jul 31 14:39:21 EDT 2012

On 07/31/2012 02:06 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> writes:
>
>> Newer, cleaner and easier to understand is FreeSwitch.  I tossed
>> Asterisk a while back.  Support is good.  There is an active IRC channel
>> where a number of the developers hang out.  Also a very busy mailing list.
> My main issue with FreeSwitch is the lack of a Fedora/CentOS RPM in EPEL
> or rpmfusion.  Asterisk, however, is simple to install (albeit more
> complicated to configure).
>
> I've been a happy Asterisk user since 1.2 (or possibly even 1.0), and
> have been using it for ~5-7 years, possibly longer.
>
> I don't use it as a PBX per se, I use it as a concentrator for multiple
> incoming telephone trunks.
>
> -derek
Hi, Derek,

I had to laugh at this response.  Many of you know that Derek has been
involved in the gnucash project for a long time.  For some reason that's
been lost to me in my advanced years, I had to compile gnucash from
source once.   It is perhaps the most complex compile I've ever done
with dozens of dependencies and requirements.

Compiling FreeSwitch is a breeze.  The instructions on the web site are
mostly complete and easy to follow.  It takes about an hour on a
reasonable system.

Once you've done that, the configuration is so much simpler than
Asterisk.  The time invested in compiling is off set by the less time it
takes to configure FreeSwitch.

Derek, I'm not picking on you but it did strike me as hilarious.  If
I've offended you, please accept my apologies.

Jim.