[ale] Diagnostic help needed

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Jan 14 17:30:19 EST 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:06:06 -0500
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that cable modem speed is heavily impacted by subscriber
> count use on your cable leg.  100 users watching tv is the same
> bandwidth as 100 users watching netflix or downloading DVDs.  The
> advantage of dsl is your speed is mostly constant.

You start sharing bandwidth with your neighbors right after the first
hop with DSL.  Just like with cable, you get better performance if your
ISP is spending the money to supply the DSLAM or your local cable node
with enough bandwidth.

The phone companies have been saying this for a long time.  I imagine
it helps them justify DSLs slower speeds :)

> With cable it can vary wildly based on your neighbors activity.
> Watch your speeds drop when school gets out @ 3pm!

This happens at least as often with DSL :p.

Pat