[ale] OT: Service for a Novatel USB cell modem

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sat Jan 14 12:43:25 EST 2012

*I have a Novatel USB760* *3G EVDO Rev-A USB modem that I picked up from
Verizon last year.  I went month-to-month thinking that I wouldn't
necessarily use it all the time, so I have it free and clear.

As I recall, the Verizon service offering that I was using gave me
1GB/month at about $50/month.  Now they say * that the plan pricing is
the same on the month-to-month and the contract plan, starting at $50
for 5GB.

I'd like some advice on more agreeable plans that I can use this device
with.  I don't want to have to keep going through this thing where I
won't use it for a while then have to go though this whole re-activation
process that can wind up amounting to $50 for maybe an hour's total
use.  Now that I'm in grad school fulltime, I need ready availability
for light/moderate use at less cost - it's OK if it's at a reduced
bandwidth; I just want to get connected wherever/whenever without it
costing something like $600/year.  I do have an iPhone 3G under AT&T; if
there's a reasonable tethering option there I'm open to it.  What might
I look into?