[ale] Diagnostic help needed

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 16 10:55:42 EST 2012

Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> writes:

> Late this past week Comcast suffered a catastrophic failure. Businesses around
> the southeast went out entirely, and residential customers suffered and are
> suffering because hardware was reallocated.
>
> Services should reach normal again in a few days to a week, from what I am
> told.

It was worse than that.  The Atlanta area Comcast Business Class
services had a bad configuration so it wouldn't fall back to their
secondary equipment, so anytime their primary had any scheduled (or
unscheduled) downtime Atlanta biz-class customers would be off the net.
I helped them debug it last week after the multi-hour outage, and they
were going to install a config fix ASAP.

Hopefully this should stabilize our regional biz-class network.

You're welcome.  :-D

-derek