[ale] First look at Winders 8

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Dec 28 04:53:59 EST 2012

On 12/27/2012 10:55 PM, Jonathan Meek wrote:

> As a newcomer, i am faced with an interesting challenge before me:
> learn .NET/C# in order to become a programmer in my current employment
> or do I learn Java/C++/Perl/Ruby and try my chances elsewhere?
>
> My passion is computers and i fear being struck into a cast of M$
> developer only. I want to write code because it's a great mental
> exercise, not just for the money.
>
> Any good thoughts on where to start? Side note: Planning to finish a
> M.S. in computer science in July, paid by my employer with no
> commitment to stay after completion.
>
> Jonathan

Why choose?  Do a combination of both.  Stay at your current job and
learn/apply .NET/C#.  On the side, play with your choice of the other
languages.  Once you have a mastered a couple of programming languages,
the others come fairly easily.  Learning to program is as much learning
to analyze the problem and develop a solution as it is applying the
rules of a specific language.

Find an open source project you're interested in that will let you apply
another language.  Then when you decide to jump employers you'll have
something else on your curriculum vitae.

While you don't have a commitment to remain after your education at your
current employee, it's the polite thing to do for a while, assuming they
give you commensurate pay and it's a decent place to work.

Just my two cents.

Jim.