[ale] First look at Winders 8

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Dec 28 14:30:11 EST 2012

Hi Jonathan,

I would take advantage of whatever you can learn at your current
employer.  Free training is cool.  Getting paid to learn is even
better.  If you want to learn something else, Leam Hall convinced me to
work on learning GO after a number of discussions I had here on the
list.  It's a relatively new language created by Google which addresses
many shortcomings of other languages and is reputed to be fun to learn
and use.  I think the employment prospects will be good for it if it
continues to catch on, but it is not, at present, used as widely as some
of the other ones you mentioned.  One problem it has, at present, as far
as I know, is that there is no GUI, so it's better for systems
programming than desktop programming.

http://golang.org/

Sincerely,

Ron

On 12/27/2012 10:55 PM, Jonathan Meek wrote:

> As a newcomer, i am faced with an interesting challenge before me:
> learn .NET/C# in order to become a programmer in my current employment
> or do I learn Java/C++/Perl/Ruby and try my chances elsewhere?
>
> My passion is computers and i fear being struck into a cast of M$
> developer only. I want to write code because it's a great mental
> exercise, not just for the money.
>
> Any good thoughts on where to start? Side note: Planning to finish a
> M.S. in computer science in July, paid by my employer with no
> commitment to stay after completion.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On Dec 27, 2012 11:13 AM, "Jim Kinney" <jim.kinney at gmail.com
> <mailto:jim.kinney at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Charles Shapiro
>     <hooterpincher at gmail.com <mailto:hooterpincher at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > OTOH I have been struggling with Eclipse and Android for a
>     couple of days
>     > now.  I've gotten it to believe that my "Hello World" app is
>     actually a
>     > project, but it won't re-generate the R.java file, which is
>     created from the
>     > various and sundry XML files which specify things like screens
>     and strings.
>     > It's an ongoing wrangle, but I could sure use someone who really
>     knows
>     > Eclipse, even though I've already created the application at the
>     > command-line.
>     >

>     Eclipse: when a luminous body is obscured from view.
>

>     > -- CHS
>     >
>     >
>     > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Mike Harrison
>     <cluon at geeklabs.com <mailto:cluon at geeklabs.com>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Shapiro waxed poetic:
>     >>
>     >>> So heck, maybes this is the Way the World will Go, and us happy
>     >>> hard-workin' coders will merely be weird old fossils in a
>     universe of
>     >>> sunglasses-wearing HTML writers.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> In the real world, where bandwidth, CPU, memory,
>     >> and -long term- reliability and maintainability are issues,
>     >> fossils like us kick ass,
>     >>
>     >> I can get more done with just a shell on a far away linux
>     system than most
>     >> "developers" can do using the latest IDE and kewl language of
>     the week.
>     >>
>     >> 10 lines of perl can be a powerful thing.
>     >>
>     >> Three weeks ago I tought a young man to not trust his IDE with
>     all the
>     >> supported options and commands. His code would not connect. It
>     did not have:
>     >> CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER and CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST as options in
>     his IDE, he
> [...]

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com