[ale] Strange booting on Ubuntu encrypted hdd

Chesser.Damon Damon.Chesser at SunTrust.com
Mon Dec 3 15:12:04 EST 2012

I have seen this with Debian based systems on my home box.  If I reboot, I get this behavior.  If I boot again, it boots fine.  If I come up clean (all the way down, then back up, not a reboot) I do not.  No idea why.  Gentoo based and Fedora do not do this.

Damon at damtek.com

From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Edward Holcroft
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 2:42 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!
Subject: [ale] Strange booting on Ubuntu encrypted hdd

All

I've installed Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit and decided to try out the encrypted hard drive feature. At every boot, the system seems to hang on a blank screen, although the keyboard is still functional. Ctrl-F1 reveals just a cursor, but I cannot do anything with it.

If I do a reboot using ctrl-alt-del, it boots into Grub without any problems, requesting the encryption password, etc. and runs perfectly fine after that.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

ed

--
Edward Holcroft
Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.

MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it - you should not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any other person. Internet communications are not secure. You should scan this message and any attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or interception of this e-mail is illegal.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
By replying to this e-mail, you consent to SunTrust's monitoring activities of all communication that occurs on SunTrust's systems.
SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]