[ale] Digital Communications Conference

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Sep 20 09:12:15 EDT 2011

I attended the DCC over the weekend in Baltimore.  The DCC is aimed at
discussing issues of digital communications specifically of interest to
amateur radio.  It's interesting that over the years Linux has played a
bigger and bigger part in the topics.  One presenter went out of his way
to emphasize WIN32 support would only come after Linux 64 and 32 bit
support.  Most projects discussed support Linux, were developed on Linux
or are exclusively Linux where applicable.

Approximately a quarter of the audience had a netbook, notebook or
tablet in front of them during the presentations.  Just from a quick
observation, I'd say at least 2/3 to 3/4 of them were running some
flavor of Linux or Android.

The DCC is coming to Atlanta next year so if anyone is interested to see
what's new in digital radio communications plan on attending.  It'll be
held at about the same time, however the exact date hasn't been set.

Jim.