[ale] kjournald?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Sep 19 18:59:38 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 18:39 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Is it one journal write per file or per inode used per file?

It's situation-dependent; it's one journal write per whatever-fits.  It
could be one large write or it could be several small writes that are
all temporally related (at least, this is how I understand how
journaling works on ext{3,4} filesystems).

By default, too, it isn't file *contents* that are journaled, just
filesystem metadata.  You can force contents to be journaled as well,
which is safer, but it allegedly reduces performance a ton.  I have
never tested it myself so I can't tell you just how bad performance
would get in that situation; I've only read that it is pretty bad.

	--- Mike

                                  --- Carveth Read, “Logic”