[ale] Digital Communications Conference

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:06:57 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Jim Lynch
<ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> I attended the DCC over the weekend in Baltimore.  The DCC is aimed at
> discussing issues of digital communications specifically of interest to
> amateur radio.

Did they do any talks on mesh networks/routing?
Any references/parallels to the following:
JITRS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Tactical_Radio_System
WIN-T Inc 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PM_Warfighter_Information_Network-Tactical_(WIN-T)

Both are going to replace current radio systems with an
everything-over-IP system, much of which will be mesh based.
Some of the current radio systems are already becoming 'data' radios
rather than FM voice:
http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/capabilities/tactical-radios-networking/an-prc-117g/default.asp

My Ham license lapsed while I was overseas, and then expired before I
realized it had lapsed, but I've been meaning to get back into it.
I've got kind of a special interest in networking over high-latency,
unreliable links: although usually the solution to comms is just to
throw money at it and buy more satellite time, I still have a thing
for HF.