[ale] vmware remote display vs vnc on the ubuntu box vs xming on my Windoze machine

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri May 27 10:44:06 EDT 2011

> An example is:
>
> ssh -X nns at regulus thunderbird &

If you want to run multiple X-clients on the remote machine, just use

     ssh -X nns at regulus

to get a shell on the remote machine. Then run each GUI program as you
normally would. The DISPLAY will be shipped back to your Ubuntu
(X-Server) desktop.
If you need more terminals, just launch them in the background "xterm
&".  Obviously, you won't have a panel with a menu so you just need to
know the name of each program.

You can add these remote calls from your desktop to the remote system
pretty easily.  I don't use stock Ubuntu, so I can't help with anymore
specifics.  Under LXDE, just edit the ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/*
files for any customizations you care to make or add accel keys to
launch a remote program in ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml   SUPER-f can
launch anything (I use it for a remote Firefox session).

Lots and lots of capability this way, but there is 1 thing that other
VNC/NX methods have as an advantage - when you close those sessions, you
can pick up exactly where you left off later. Not with the "ssh -X"
method. A closed session is closed. A network hiccup will close all
X-Client programs. On a LAN, that should never, never, never happen.