[ale] vmware remote display vs vnc on the ubuntu box vs xming on my Windoze machine

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri May 27 10:30:09 EDT 2011

On 05/27/2011 08:31 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:
>
> I am trying to come up with an effective solution for getting display
> back from my Ubuntu machine running inside a VMWare session.  It is
> running headless on my Windoze 7 64 bit OS.
>
> Option 1:
>
> Set up VMWare to have remote display and use VNC to connect to that
> remote display.
>
> Works well but kinda sluggish.
>
> Option 2:
>
> Disable VMWare remote display and setup the VNC Server inside the Ubuntu
> itself and connect to that inside VNC.  Not sure if it is sluggish or not.
>
> Option 3:
>
> Time old Run XMing on my remote laptop and then export the display back.
>  Not sure if it is preferred, puts load on the network and/or is sluggish.
>
> -Narahari

Option a:  Use ssh, not X/Windows. Learn to love the shell.

Option b: Run the X-Client software and ship the display back to your
X-server on Ubuntu.  I use this all-the-time over a LAN connection. It
isn't fast enough for video playback without dropping frames, but it
works for almost anything else.  You could, cough, cough, use XDMP.  I
slight understanding of X/Windows and the architecture is needed (it is
backwards from most C/S architectures) ... or you could just use
'ssh -X user at srv "remote command"'

Option c: FreeNX is an alternative, zero cost, GUI option. I think
there's another clone of NX that is also FLOSS.  It claims to be
non-production stable, but I've not had any issues the 2 times I needed
it.  It uses ssh for encrypted communications channels.  I only use this
over slow WAN links.

I think you'd be happiest with "b" using "ssh -X"

An example is:

ssh -X nns at regulus thunderbird &

No need to screw around with "xost + regulus" or setting the DISPLAY
correctly. The "-X" option handles those for you.  ssh x-forwarding must
be enabled on the server-side sshd (or X-client).