[ale] LightScribe for Linux

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:57:50 EDT 2011

On 2011/06/28, at 12:43 , Cornelis van Dijk wrote:

> Thanks to all that replied. I tried Inkscape yesterday, but I am only
> halfway with that. I appears that one can actually set the pixels per
> inch on Inkscape, so far I had it at 60, which gives the same
> miserable results as the gimp, at least on my regular hp printer. Not
> tried to actually burn a label, The burner is Memorex lightscribe.
> Cor

For print media you should be working at a bare minimum
of 150 dots per inch.   300 dots per inch is common.
Most modern printers are working at least 600 dots per inch.

Since dots per inch don't really mean anything with electronic
graphics displayed on a computer monitor (since screens and
viewing scale can vary widely in area and resolution) try to
relate your image pixel resolution to the relative area of the
surface you want to print it on.

A bit map image that you want to print on a standard 8.5x11"
sheet of paper at 300 dots per inch should be constructed
at 2550 pixels by 3300 pixels in GIMP.

A CD is ~5" in diameter, so an image that you want to
go onto a CD should be about 1,500 x 1,500 pixels for
quality results.

Output from a structured graphics program like inkscape
is rendered to bit map at the dots per inch resolution you
specify for the project file or printer output.  You should be
telling inkscape to output at 300 dots per inch.

peace
aaron