[ale] svideo recorder to hard disk

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:25:05 EDT 2011

Thanks for replying back and for your time.

If MythTV compatibility is a requirement (as shown in the diag), that
> limits which hardware will be useful to you.  I've failed with MythTV
> too much to offer any advice. Sorry.

Just one possibility, would be nice for this setup but not an absolute
responsibility.

> You probably want a TV capture device (card or USB) that is compatible
> with MythTV to do what you want.

Yes have one Hauppauge PVR 150 Hardware Encoding, not a prob here.

> If this video and audio are being created on a PC, you should be able to
> directly record it with software on the machine itself like
> http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php

Been there done that.  It worked but not very successful with this.  Mic
issues, timing.  Spent a lot of time scripting around this.

> or
> ffmpeg
>
> http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/5230/capture-screen-and-mic-input-using-ffmpeg-and-alsa
> I think those tools are fine for recording presentations, but not for TV
> or movie-like content.
>
> Will try it again may be ffmpeg might work out.

> You probably want a TV capture device.
>
> As to the S-Video out, that will have to come from the video card on
> the source.

Yes it is coming form the source.  I am thinking of purchasing
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD649080-80-Hour-Digital-Recorder/dp/B000ER5G58/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Only concern is, once recording sits on the TIVO, (yes it is ethernet
enabled) how to rsync it to the HTPC upstairs so I can play on the BigTV.
Can Linux see the files on the TIVO device ?

This is another device *
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/ele/2398078352.html without svideo in.  So
thinking what to do.*

-Narahari