[ale] svideo recorder to hard disk

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jun 26 17:10:43 EDT 2011

On 06/26/2011 04:05 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Please see below
>
>     More detailed requirements will yield better responses.  You need 3
>     things.
>     1) svideo + analog audio converter
>     2) some sort of computer to convert the input into a disk file
>     3) Disk storage
>
>     Any single device that doesn't do all those things won't work for you.
>
>     A few requirements questions:
>
>     a) Is this for work or home?
>     For home only.
>

>     b) Can the recording device be another computer?
>     It can be another computer or it can be the same computer where I
>     can loop back and record without a gui showing up.
>
>     c) Which **exact** other inputs must you have?
>
> I only need svideo out and svideo in.
>
>     d) What format does the output file need to be? MPG, AVI, MKV, MOV, WMV,
>     XVID, something with DRM capabilities?
>

> No DRM is needed.
>

>     e) What is your budget?  $20, $100 or $1000?
>     about 100.
>

>     f) How automatic/simple must this be?
>     It doesnt have to be too simple.
>

>     g) Are there any OS limitations?
>     Not really.  Can't be Mac.
>

>     h) Do you have any specific playback device requirements? Recording
>     something that doesn't play on your target player isn't very useful.
>     No requirements
>
>     An old TiVo can do this too by using the normal inputs, so finding a
>     used Series 2 TiVo may be the easiest answer.
>
> This what I am looking for.
>

> Here is possible setup schematic http://i.imgur.com/SEsyd.png

If MythTV compatibility is a requirement (as shown in the diag), that
limits which hardware will be useful to you.  I've failed with MythTV
too much to offer any advice. Sorry.

You probably want a TV capture device (card or USB) that is compatible
with MythTV to do what you want.

If this video and audio are being created on a PC, you should be able to
directly record it with software on the machine itself like
http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php
or
ffmpeg
http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/5230/capture-screen-and-mic-input-using-ffmpeg-and-alsa
I think those tools are fine for recording presentations, but not for TV
or movie-like content.

You probably want a TV capture device.

As to the S-Video out, that will have to come from the video card on
the source.