[ale] laptop running very hot!

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Jun 24 23:12:15 EDT 2011

Jim,

Forgive me if I say anything too obvious, but I, too have had some
issues with frying laptops. Not totally sure if yours is a laptop, but
desktops are similar. I cannot speak to F15 specifically, these issues
are more generic. First, I would check the BIOS. Look for anything
related to fan speed or cooling. Disable anything like smart or adaptive
cooling and set to maximum cooling mode all the time. Make sure you
don't disable the cooling system though. If you can select fan speeds,
set them all to 100 % at all times. Once you solve the cooling problem,
you can go back and worry about noise if you want to. Note that the OS
may override the BIOS, but you don't want the BIOS to be part of the
problem.

You need to determine the maximum CPU temperature the laptop can take.
You cannot assume they're all the same. The Intel Core 2 Duo chip in one
of my laptops can take 100 deg C. The AMD Phenom II X4 chip in my
desktop can only take 62 deg C. The old Pentium 4 chip in another laptop
can only take 71 deg C. Finding out the max temp rating is not always
easy, and reading a processor spec sheet, even if you can find the right
one, can drive you bonkers. These links may be of help.

I don't even know how I found theses, and I had some better ones at one
time, with simplified lists of chips and temperatures, but I cannot find
them. (Somebody else can jump in and tell how to discover exactly what
chip you have out of the hundreds of SKU's.)

For Intel:

http://ark.intel.com/Default.aspx
click processors
click (for example, for my old laptop) Pentium 4
click the box that says "Show spec, stepping, ordering, and socket details"
find the right chip somehow (In Windows, you can right click on your
"computer" icon and select properties to get some processor data. I
cannot remember at the moment how to get more detail.)
for this example, I chose Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.40 GHz, 512K
Cache, 533 MHz FSB
click the link for the chip
look for the Tcase spec, which in this case is 71 deg C
consider that your upper limit temperature

Now, if your sensor is reading junction temperature, that may be
somewhat different, and maybe a bit higher. However, if you consider the
case temp spec as your upper limit, you'll be fine regardless.

For AMD:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/
doing a processor example, click desktop processors
select (for my example) HDZ965FBK4DGM AMD Phenom™ II X4 965
click view detail
look for the max temps spec, which in this case is 62 deg C
consider this your upper limit temperature

(Do you know how hard it is to keep a 4 core chip to 62 deg C or less
under load?! I had to resort to liquid cooling.)

Before testing, verify that the fan intake is open and free of lint and
dust. Many laptops have the fan directly on your leg, if it's in your
lap, or directly where it will be blocked on a bed, etc. Don't operate
on any surface which blocks the intake. Fluffy or fuzzy surfaces are
awful. Also, these accumulate lint and dust over time which is very
fine. I ended up putting a piece of wedding ribbon over my fan intake to
prevent this. I've heard that panty hose fabric works too. A regular
foam filter pad, like on the back of a space heater, may be too course,
as the dust I'm describing is very fine. Depending on the case design,
desktop fan intakes can accumulate lots of dust in little grill holes too.

Load something like SpeedFan in Windows to check the CPU temperature.
Start Windows and put the machine under load with a CPU intensive task
like a video conversion or something. You can also use the Prime95
program in either Windows or Linux to exercise the system.
http://www.mersenne.org/ Run the CPU full blast and make sure the CPU
never exceeds the maximum temperature you discovered. In a room that's
under 80 degrees F or so, it should be able to run continuously at 100%
load without exceeding the spec, although it may get close to it. If
needed, set the power settings to maximum and / or active cooling, which
varies the fan speed instead of just the processor speed. Also, to
properly test it, make sure the CPU actually goes to 100%. If it
doesn't, you may have to adjust the power settings to allow it. You can
observe the CPU graph in the performance tab of task manager.

If it overheats in Windows, verify that the fan is either running at
full speed all the time or verify that it ramps up to full speed under
load. Verify that there is a decent breeze of warm air coming from the
heat sink where the processor is. If the fan is on, and the intakes are
clean, and it still overheats, there may be a blockage on the inside of
the case. My Dell laptop was overheating under load one time. I had to
take the access cover off the bottom and look at the processor heat sink
radiator, which is connected to the CPU and GPU via a heat pipe. There
was a glob of dust blocking the radiator from the INSIDE. It was totally
invisible from outside the computer. I had to remove the entire radiator
and heat pipe assembly, clean the dust, then replace them carefully. I
didn't have to reapply the thermal paste, but that's something you may
have to consider. After that, my CPU temp never gets above about 75 deg
C and that particular PC has a limit of 100 deg C. I keep SpeedFan
running with a little icon in the system tray that lets me check the
temp at a glance.

Once you know that the BIOS is OK and that the physical parts of the
cooling system are working properly, you can reboot into Linux and
troubleshoot. Set up LM Sensors or whatever package you need to monitor
temperature. You may have to install a kernel module to get the sensors
to work, depending on the motherboard. You can put a CPU Temperature
applet on the Gnome panel so you can read it whenever you want. Go
through the same drill. Start the system under Linux, put it under load,
and observe the temperature. If the unit has been moved, make sure the
fan intake is still clear. Make sure that the fan either runs all the
time or ramps up when needed. As before, set the OS power settings to
maximum and / or active cooling. I don't know how that's done in Fedora.
In Ubuntu, you can use the System Monitor application or the CPU
Frequency Scaling Monitor Gnome Panel applet to monitor CPU frequency.
System Monitor can also monitor processes. You may not be seeing all
processes with TOP. System monitor is graphical and has scroll bars. I
think HTOP will provide a more comprehensive list in a terminal screen.
Run it at 100%. When looking for rogue processes, be sure to look at
both user processes and system processes. I say again, you SHOULD be
able to max out the machine without overheating it. If everything is
running properly, it should literally be impossible for you to overheat
it. Having said that, running at close to "redline" for any machine will
reduce longevity and reliability, so I don't recommend it unless you're
testing or doing some task that requires full power.

Good luck.

Ron