[ale] C Compiler for Linux

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Jun 24 17:09:56 EDT 2011

Hi Rich,

Even though we've discussed some of this on the phone, I thought I'd
share it with the group.

I've been threatening to relearn programming for 15 years, and I'm
hoping to actually carry out the threat.  15 years ago, I programmed in
Clipper, a C like database language.  I posted a thread a few months
back on this list talking about developing in C#.  However, the people
here convinced me that C++ would be better.  I now hope to plow through
the book "Programming Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne
Stroustrup (the inventor of C++).  I'm hoping to do cross platform
development.  I'm going to use Visual C++ Express on Windows, which is
free.  On Linux, I've hit on the GCC compiler, as suggested by others.
I don't know how to use the make system, at this point, but compiling
small programs with a few source files seems to be very simple.  I
believe you can go through this entire book without an IDE.  I know that
the gedit editor in Ubuntu does syntax highlighting and auto indention
for C / C++ files.  I'll probably start out using that.  I may also try
VIM as I've had just enough experience with VI in the past to be
dangerous.  (I basically know the insert, delete line, and write file
commands.)  Obviously, I would have to learn more about VIM for serious
programming, but you can do a lot with just those commands, although not
very efficiently.  By the way, this book also talks about a cross
platform minimal graphics toolkit called FLTK (faster than light
toolkit, I think) which can be used to put basic windows and buttons on
the screen, etc.  When I graduate to an IDE, I'll probably try NetBeans
or Eclipse.  I believe Eclipse can run on Windows too.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 4/20/2011 11:47 PM, Richard Faulkner wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a preferred C compiler or developer environment
> for Fedora 12-14?  Time to play code monkey and don't want to do it on
> a Window$ box (for which I've done C++ in the past upon).
>
> Thanks!   RinL

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT c3energy.com