[ale] VPS or not

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Jun 24 15:17:37 EDT 2011

I was going through some of the old messages.  I just thought I'd throw
out this note that http://1and1.com has a virtual Linux server package
for $ 30 / mo with .5 GB guaranteed ram, 2 GB dynamic ram (whatever that
means in this context), and 20 GB of hard drive space.  I've used their
shared hosting for some low volume websites and email and domain hosting
for several years with few problems.  I haven't had personal experience
with the VPS package.

Ron

On 3/31/2011 8:44 PM, Chuck Peters wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM, James Sumners
> <james.sumners at gmail.com <mailto:james.sumners at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If you pay by the year, or two years, you still get the same discount
>     at renewal time with Linode. I got the same 10% off at the begining of
>     March as I did when I first signed up the previous March.
>

> Linode discount is 10% by year or 15% if you pay for two years.
> Prgmr is 10% off for 6 months and 20% for a year.
>
> Linode 1 year 1024MB $479.40
> Prgmr 1 year 1024MB $192.00
> Prgmr 1 year 2048MB $345.60
>
> A straight comparison of price probably isn't fair when you consider
> other factors. More people will be happy with Linode because of their
> service, number of data centers, likely more expensive hardware and
> probably better performance in a 1024MB direct comparison. Let's not
> forget the web gui, people will like Linode better since Prgmr
> requires the command line to start up your VPS. As for network
> topology, the tests I did earlier showed less latency to Linode in New
> Jersey than the San Jose data center we are getting, but both Linode
> and Prgmr have servers in the same data center.  If the size of the
> company matters to you, Linode is much bigger than Prgmr. I don't know
> the current numbers of employees, but if what I read online is true
> Linode has at least 60 people and they all work in New Jersey.  They
> ship servers out to the various data centers and the data center
> people take care of the NOC Monkey part.
>
> We are running a VPS for a few mail accounts, a few mailing lists,
> LAMP and static sites that provide little or no income.  For someone
> like me who doesn't need much support and considering our particular
> requirements, we can definitely do more with 2048MB RAM and spending
> less.  I just hope some of our users are as happy with it as I expect,
> less latency when doing mail with mutt, or posting with wordpress
> could be something that prompts us to move to New Jersey.
>

> Chuck

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT c3energy.com