[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Apr 29 16:06:24 EDT 2011

> So we've been with Verizon since the silicon cooled off and had a
> family plan for the past 10 yrs., but in the spirit of FOSS, I am
> thinking very seriously of kicking Verizon to the curb. I want an
> Android phone and LTE might also be nice, but not an absolute
> requirement esp. as I intend to pull nearly all my data from WiFi.
> Ergo, I REFUSE to pay the required $15 or $30 extortion fee for the
> required data plans at Verizon. Furthermore, I find their $350/line
> cancellation fee unconscionable, not that I have any intention of
> cancelling while under contract, but again it goes against the FOSS
> grain. When it comes to phone service, I am in agreement with Aaron
> regarding the corporapists!

not to nit picks, but the cancellation fee goes down every month by ...
I forgot, $15 ? so assuming you stay for a year, it is only 1/2.. and
the reason I HAVE the Verizon family plan is exactly because of coverage..
 I only ( still?) have my LG Env2 phone, no data package & no plans for
a data package. ALl I wanted was a qwerty keyboard for texting. My wife
( the other side of the family plan) has her LG... something.. with a
touchpad front. AT&T coverage in our area sucked, so we went with Verizon.

--
Paul Cartwright