[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:47:26 EDT 2011

So we've been with Verizon since the silicon cooled off and had a family
plan for the past 10 yrs., but in the spirit of FOSS, I am thinking very
seriously of kicking Verizon to the curb. I want an Android phone and LTE
might also be nice, but not an absolute requirement esp. as I intend to pull
nearly all my data from WiFi. Ergo, I REFUSE to pay the required $15 or $30
extortion fee for the required data plans at Verizon. Furthermore, I find
their $350/line cancellation fee unconscionable, not that I have any
intention of cancelling while under contract, but again it goes against the
FOSS grain. When it comes to phone service, I am in agreement with Aaron
regarding the corporapists!

Now, with the preamble finished, I am leaning seriously towards going with
Metro PCS, they have LTE (though LTE service ends ~ 5mi from my home) and
CDMA Android phones for what seem reasonable prices. They also have $40, $50
and $60 all inclusive unltd plans. The one thing I am concerned about is
[lack of] coverage, where Verizon has always been top notch--their coverage
is great, but it ought to be, cause you sure pay for it!

My question is does anybody on the list have any experience with Metro?

MG,
GC