[ale] Suggestions on Linux / OSS support providers?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:43:07 EDT 2011

And getting tied to a particular vendor can be a problem (any one ever seen
"nitix"?).

For many processes, writing an installer that will play nicely with more
than one Linux distro flavor involves some serious mojo. The bigger the app,
the greater the mojo.

The LSB is supposed to address this at least from the libs standpoint. But
there are other things that will block certain distros from being used.

Example: I'm (very slowly) working on a large app that requires an extreme
amount of data security from a network perspective right down to the
database rows and columns. The only opensource solution that I have found to
work is the selinux extensions to PostgreSQL. Do all distros support
selinux? Of the ones that do, do they support it with a selinux policy that
actually works or am I going to have add a bazillion lines to the policy?
Then there's the end goal of getting the app actually in use. Is school ABC
going to be more comfortable with a product based on distro R vs distro U?
The app requires a fairly large installation pile of distributed servers so
that requires a particular toolchain for support of enterprise-level
installations. Which distros are workable in this arena?

At this point my head explodes and I grab the Linux toolchain I _know_ will
meet all of these and go head down on design and devel.

Am I limiting my freedom by this? Can I run a 2001 Ford engine in a 2002 VW
Jetta without a full machine shop?

The big difference between ALL the Linux distro (nitix is not in this list!)
and the closed-source, proprietary crap is the Linux distros ALL provide and
allow the freedom to solve the problem. Some are better in other areas than
others but the ability is there for all to work with.

Can I switch distros? Yes. Will it _HURT_? Oh hell yes!

Are there any "for pay only" distros out there? Nope. Not exactly. Well,
sort of. The most commercial one doesn't require a cent for anyone to
download their source packages and build your own. But one of their
competitors doesn't even pony up a working build source tree (screw you
Oracle! not like I would EVER recommend or use your product.).

But adding in the mix of "closed-source app" to be run on an open-source
platform, it will need to be pretty much self-contained or the developers
will face the wrath of the multi-version, no common ground, distros split
like stained-glass windows environment we all love (and grouse about :-)

Oh. That would be an Oracle install on their "Unbreakable Linux" distro they
build from RedHat's src.rpms. Oracle still can't write an installer for
their stupid product on RedHat, the platform the actually recommend when
they don't recommend Solaris (or what ever it's mutated into now).

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*