[ale] OT: Disposal of standard fluorescent lamps?

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:05:13 EDT 2011

On 2011/04/11, at 18:16 , Jeff Gehlbach wrote:

> On 04/11/2011 05:39 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> The colors from halogens are _much_ nicer but they are HOT! And
>> many are
>> sensitive to fingerprint oils.
>
> Both points are very true of the small lamps with T-style bases and of
> the dual-pole, rod-style lamps such as are found in some landscape
> applications.
>
> The fingerprint oils are a non-issue for the newer, traditional-
> looking
> lamps that have a frosted or clear outer glass globe surrounding the
> inner filament-bearing capsule.  Regarding heat, I haven't taken any
> readings to back this up, but the dual-globe lamps feel cooler to the
> touch than an equivalent tungsten-filament incandescent.  I still
> wouldn't want to touch the outer globes themselves, but it's not
> uncomfortable to lay a hand on the bell-style fixtures that house them
> over the mirror in my bathroom.
>
> I wonder if the perceived greater heat of the smaller lamps has
> something to do with the ability to get one's nerve endings very close
> to the filament.  Kind of like saying that the Sun is hotter on
> Mercury
> than on Venus.
>
>> And they output a fair amount of UV unless there is a glass
>> shield between the bulb and the light use are. UV will decay many
>> inks/printed materials (red colors especially).
>
> Ooh, news to me and very good info.  Thanks.
>
> -jeff

Good info, Jeff.

I've worked with tungsten halogen lamps and bulbs in the TV and
Film industry for years, so I know what Jim is talking about in terms
of heat and skin oil.  The industrial bulbs run VERY hot and if you
leave any finger prints on them when you install them the glass
will heat unevenly and the bulbs will (very loudly) explode.
 From wikipedia:

"The combination of the halogen gas and the tungsten filament
produces a chemical reaction known as a halogen cycle which
increases the lifetime of the filament and prevents darkening of
the bulb by redepositing tungsten from the inside of the bulb back
onto the filament. Because of this, a halogen lamp can be operated
at a higher temperature than a standard gas-filled lamp of similar
power and operating life. The higher operating temperature results
in light of a higher color temperature. This, in turn, gives it a higher
luminous efficacy (10–30 lm/W)."

I always thought the heat was necessary to the halogen cycle,
but this suggests the heat is more related to color temperature
and efficiency advantages of the bulbs.

In any case, it sounds like the consumer designs have taken
an approach that insulates the hot bulb from the outer housing
and contains the heat.  I'm looking forward to trying these. Good
excuse to go to Lowes, too. :-)

peace
aaron