[ale] [OT] Load Control Switch

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:37:34 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I know you majored in Physics, I in Botany. How much exactly is "a full
> metric crapton of power?" I've never encountered that unit of measure before
> ;-)

As it's metric, most Americans struggle with the concept. It's between a
a$$load and a sh*tload BUT due to the conversion factor between British
pounds Sterling and American pounds and the Euro, it requires an extra cubic
furlong of methane equivalent on the odd months to round it out during
daylight savings time (in France).

yeah. physics major with a minor in math and BS :-)

> GAP sent a letter last spring saying they would be around to swap out the
> meter with a "smarty drawers" one that they could turn off & on without a
> truck roll. I don't have a bad-ass dog, actually a rather wimpy one, so I
> expect they did the deed, but haven't taken note  of the fact.

Look for a digital readout on the front instead of the spinny disk thing.

> In my house, I have sprayed in polyurethane foam in the walls and that
> stuff is THE BOMB, pretty much kills infiltration which is a MAJOR
> contributor to home comfort/energy consumption. The attic insulation,
> however, is fiberglass and it needs more. HVAC is via relatively
> high efficiency heat pumps (SEER 13 IIRC). I opted to go total electric on
> account of the stupid gas deregulation whereby you pay $19.99/mo to AGL for
> the pipes in the ground and an additional $4.99/mo "customer service fee"
> [read BILLING FEE] even with 0 therms of gas usage. Ergo I calculated that I
> would be paying ~ $300/yr just to have gas service. I figured that would buy
> me at least 2 months of electricity in the low months and in the past 4
> years I have had <$150 electric bills several months My worst was this Jan,
> I think and just under $600.

Foam in poly is flammable and poisonous when heated near combustion point so
keep the smoke detectors in perfect working order and RUN if they go off.
But it does a great job. I have cellulose in my attic. Better R value per
inch than fiberglass but the squirrels and roof rats love it for bedding.
Grr. It settles faster than blown in fiberglass but costs much less to add
more. Plus it doesn't itch at all. It's treated with a flame retardent that
makes it basically fireproof without an applied flame.

My sister has a propane tank for her gas. I'm giving that serious thought.

> Now if they'll just hurry up with that Volt-gle (sp?) nuclear plant
> expansion so that electricity will "be too cheap to meter" I'll be setting
> pretty.
>
> Yeah. Nuke powers famous promise. Too bad no one listened to the engineers
on that one. We really need a crap-fuel recycling plant that can "burn" all
the radioactive "sludge" from the older reactors. Plus a total redesign to
not require active emergency cooling. Maybe pumps to keep the emergency
cooling from automatically flooding the reactor and shutting it down during
use? Heat powered hydraulic rods that automatically insert above a given
temp and must be manually removed? And that process kills the pumps holding
back the cooling flood.

Seems simple.