[ale] [OT] Load Control Switch

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:11:19 EDT 2011

Jim,

I know you majored in Physics, I in Botany. How much exactly is "a full
metric crapton of power?" I've never encountered that unit of measure before
;-)

GAP sent a letter last spring saying they would be around to swap out the
meter with a "smarty drawers" one that they could turn off & on without a
truck roll. I don't have a bad-ass dog, actually a rather wimpy one, so I
expect they did the deed, but haven't taken note  of the fact.

In my house, I have sprayed in polyurethane foam in the walls and that stuff
is THE BOMB, pretty much kills infiltration which is a MAJOR contributor to
home comfort/energy consumption. The attic insulation, however, is
fiberglass and it needs more. HVAC is via relatively high efficiency heat
pumps (SEER 13 IIRC). I opted to go total electric on account of the stupid
gas deregulation whereby you pay $19.99/mo to AGL for the pipes in the
ground and an additional $4.99/mo "customer service fee" [read BILLING FEE]
even with 0 therms of gas usage. Ergo I calculated that I would be paying ~
$300/yr just to have gas service. I figured that would buy me at least 2
months of electricity in the low months and in the past 4 years I have had
<$150 electric bills several months My worst was this Jan, I think and just
under $600.

Now if they'll just hurry up with that Volt-gle (sp?) nuclear plant
expansion so that electricity will "be too cheap to meter" I'll be setting
pretty.