[ale] Netgear FS608 Switch

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Apr 4 14:28:26 EDT 2011

Someone asked me for some help, and I'm having a problem. I am not
familiar with netgear switches, always had a router..
This is a Netgear FS608V2 switch. It is plugged into an adsl modem. I
initially plugged the main computer right into the modem to see if I
could get onto the internet. I could, but I had to put in the
login/password for their Windstream account.
The switch has ports labeled 1-8. I plugged the cable from the switch
into the modem,then plugged the first computer into the switch. I was
able to get on the internet. I plugged another computer into the switch.
I can pull up the modem from that computer using 192.168.0.254 , but it
can't get to the internet. I am assuming the 192.168.0.254 is the modem,
not the switch, or am I wrong? Is there a setup for the switch?
am I missing some magic somewhere?

--
Paul Cartwright