[ale] [way OT] BP knew of problems 11 months before the rig blew

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Mon May 31 07:52:16 EDT 2010

On Monday 31 May 2010, jcpilman at gmail.com wrote:
> I read Ra Expeditions about 35 years ago, so I don't remember every
> detail, but Thor Heyerdahl sailed a small craft in the Pacific and say
> balls of oil waste in the ocean.

Pretty sure that oil balls were also mentioned in his earlier book about
the Kon-Tiki expedition. Which I too read about 35 years ago...

Obviously they could have seen them on both voyages and likely did, but
the Kon-Tiki was in 1947! Seem to recall that the main reason the oil
balls were such an issue was that it prevented them from stretching their
fresh water supply with a percentage of sea water. One of the crew
members religion forbid "polluted water" so this was a major source of
friction amongst the crew.
--
William