[ale] [way OT] BP knew of problems 11 months before the rig blew

jcpilman at gmail.com jcpilman at gmail.com
Mon May 31 07:00:15 EDT 2010

It only takes attention off our real problem when we demonize those who
perpetrated this mess.  The real problem is the production and consumption
and waste in which we all participate.  If it were not for our ravenous
appetites the use of natural resources could proceed at a safer pace.  It
further distracts when we exaggerate the facts.  No, the mess of the
Deepwater Horizon disaster is not another Chernobyl.

I read Ra Expeditions about 35 years ago, so I don't remember every detail,
but Thor Heyerdahl sailed a small craft in the Pacific and say balls of oil
waste in the ocean.  We didn't listen to him then and we're not going to
change now.  Here's the closest quote I could find fromo that book on Google
Books: "We must make an outcry about this to evryone who would listen.  What
was the good of East and West fighting over social reforms on land, as long
as every nation allowed our common artery, the ocean, to become a sewer for
oil slush and chemical waste?"

This not to say that I hold harmless the BP execs or our own greedy
executive branch, but our denial is no more plausible than theirs.

guilty
...John