[ale] Hard Drive "boot sector" Question

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat May 22 20:08:35 EDT 2010

The MBR doesn't hold much; there is only 446 bytes or so of space for
code in it.  Due to the extremely small code space; I'd suspect that
if a standard GRUB installation failed, that the drive isn't worth
keeping, though that's just my 2 cents.

Dell systems are the only ones that I know of that have non-standard
MBR code to be able to initiate recovery, and those systems only do so
when certain keys on the keyboar