[ale] Way OT: In case you missed this in the news... Climategate

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed May 12 14:17:20 EDT 2010

On 05/12/2010 10:24:25 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
<<snip>>
> I did a bit more digging on the RedTide and I was wrong about the pH
> aspect
> (I'm scratching my head on how I made that link). Redtide is more
> associated
> with a temperature rise that any other measured factor. It is also
> associated with increased rainfall (which will have an effect on
> surface pH
> and salinity, etc as a dillution process). but the mineral salt
> content
> _should_ act as a pH buffer to some extent. Nonetheless, a
> temperature
> rise
> in ocean surface _is_ one of those "we are very concerned" data
> points
> that
> CC scientist discuss often.
Jim

I will have to look up the various ion concentrations in sea water
(common ranges really), but memory suggests that they are mostly alkali
metal cations and halogen anions. Neither of these groups or ions is
going to have an appreciable buffering effect. The only common
inorganic ion I can think of at the moment which will have buffering
effect is phosphate, which will frequently be precipitated out by many
alkline earth cations and transition metal ions.

Sorry - forgot the bicarbonate ion, which will buffer in the pH 7
region. I don't know concentrations however.

<<snip>>