[ale] GO Windows!!! ;-)

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Sun Jun 27 15:37:54 EDT 2010

William Fragakis (william at fragakis.com) wrote the following on Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:09:35AM -0400:
> bzzzt.
>
> Nope. "Is" is a linking verb - hence, it has no object. Most
> traditionalists would say the original poster, indeed, used the proper
> usage. e.g. You wouldn't say "Who is her?" instead of "Who is she?"

I should never have jumped into this, and apologies for the pedantry. And, technically,
you're quite right, although there's a lot of argument on either side (and,
idiomatically, "and me" is far more natural than "and I.") For my part I feel that "it
is me" works differently from "I am it;" while you're right that nobody would say "who
is her" or, indeed, "I is the problem," nor would anybody say "The problem is I" or
"See the person arguing an unwinnable argument in an off-topic fashion? That person is
I."  "I" doesn't agree with "is," while "me" does.  As it were.

Cheers,
George