[ale] Dell & Ubuntu

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sat Jul 24 08:39:26 EDT 2010

Barence writes "Dell has stopped selling consumer PCs preloaded with Ubuntu
from its website, and doesn't know when they're coming back. A search for
Ubuntu on the Dell UK website returns only one laptop — the Dell Latitude
2100 from the company's business range. Dell insists that it's continuing to
sell Ubuntu systems, but only over the phone, and has no idea when — or even
if — the Ubuntu PCs will return online. 'We've recently made an effort to
simplify our offerings online, by focusing on our most popular bundles and
configuration options, based on customer feedback for reduced complexity and
a simple, easy purchase experience,' Dell told PC Pro. 'We're also making
some changes to our Ubuntu pages, and as a result, they are currently
available through our phone-based sales only.' The move comes after Dell put
a page on its website advising customers only to go for Ubuntu if they were
interested in open-source programming."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/07/24/0241204/Dell-Drops-Ubuntu-PCs-From-Its-Website?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+(Slashdot)
--