[ale] email hosting questions

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Sat Jan 16 19:29:01 EST 2010

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sat January 16 2010, David Tomaschik wrote:
>
>> 2) An ISP that will let you set the reverse dns for your IP
>>
> probably will if I ask.
> > 3) Set up an SPF record for that IP for email for your domain(s) [1]
>
> not sure.. atnex said:
> When you configure your e-mail, make the HELO (or EHLO)
> mail.pcartwright.com
> And I'll set the PTR of 208.65.88.107 to be mail.pcartwright.com
>
> I think this is done..

PTR = Reverse DNS record.  So they've already done it for you.  SPF is a
TXT record in your DNS for pcartwright.com.  The fact that atnex is
supporting you doing this is encouraging.

>> There are certain netblocks more likely to be flagged as spam than
>> others.  Some rulesets for filters like SpamAssassin include
>> Comcast/AT&T/Other big Telco/Cable network netblocks in their filters.
>>

> got rid of AT&T a few years back when they blocked email to my domain for 2
> weeks. I gave up calling/emailing and just switched to Atlantic Nexus:)

Quite lucky.  Comcast is my only option (or Clear, I suppose...).

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
Moderator, LinuxQuestions.org