[ale] New Year's Resolution: Upgrade to Kubuntu 9.10

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 08:14:23 EST 2010

Just an update.  I upgraded to ubuntu 9.07 ok, but didn't have the
disk space for the 9.10 upgrade ( my OS is on a 5.7 gb drive, my
${HOME} and some other directories are elsewhere).  The sound card
stopped working on 8.10 after I updated all the packages to the latest
'n' greatest, and it still wasn't working on 9.07.  I found that it
*did* work just fine on a 9.10 liveCD though.  After thinking about it
a few days, I did a full nuke 'n' pave to 9.10.  That fixed the sound
card, and after a protracted session with apt-get(8) and some trolling
around in my desktop settings I'm back where I was.  FF 3.5 is nice, I
have crrcsim ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/crrcsim/ ) working once
again, I found the non-free codecs ok, and I can build and run my
wxPython and QT3 code.  Now I can decide whether I want to upgrade my
app to QT4!

It's interesting that the default desktop install doesn't seem to have
the GIMP, OpenOffice, Firefox, or Evolution.  Of course, you have to
do a bunch of silly stuff to get Amarok to play MP3 files, but I know
the reason for that.  I am pleased that I can now play videos directly
from FB ( Flash Player 10 ), and that I can play movies taken with my
wife's el cheapo video camera (non-free codecs).

Steps to 9.10:

*  dpkg-query -W > oldpackages.txt
*  tar -czvf {dir}.tgz { etc, var, www }
*  { Install without changing partition table }
*  { Replace /etc/hosts with anti-advertising hosts from old etc.tgz,
install old packages as needed from oldpackages.txt, rebuild crrcsim,
et cetera }

-- CHS