[ale] SOLVED (probably) (NOT!) Re: Rescuing an OS X HD from Linux - partition table hosed

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 18:16:24 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:

>> You might also simply go buy another drive,  and do a quick install of
>> the OS to test.  You are probably headed in that direction anyway
>> (unless you have AppleCare), so you might as well make the plunge...
>
> If you have hardware errors back from that drive like that, you can
> never trust that drive again.
>
>> -- Dave

Sorry, wasn't clear enough... it is a quick way to see if it is a
drive problem vs. a controller
problem. If you are pretty confident it is the drive, Mike's
presentation mention earlier is a
good source of background info - I need to look into dd-rescue myself
so I am familiar with
for the next drive failure...

Spinrite shouldn't really be damaging the drive more (assuming the
heads and arms
are not toasted) and has various settable levels of aggressiveness it
will use when it is attempting recovery. In fact, you will undoubtly
want to less aggressive levels to home in
on the sectors that are really have problems and only run against them
at the highest levels
so that they will complete within your lifetime, as it is extremely
slow at the highest levels
when it is attempting to fix a sector. In my case, it tooks several
attempts over 2-3 days...

  However, during the time I was playing with it on a Windows box, I
found Spinrite was
capable of taking a system disk that couldn't boot and eventual get it
going again... just keep
in mind that the disk should be replaced after you pull the data from
it. You might only get
lucky once...

-- Dave